Vacancy: Head of Enterprise

Falkland Estate is a historic rural estate in central Scotland that is carving out a new way forward. The estate extends to about 1500 hectares inc: in-hand organic farm; woodland; let farms; leased cottages; historic landscape; and business premises.

In recent years, Falkland Estate Trust (estate owner) has been working closely with Falkland Stewardship Trust (a heritage and educational charity), and Falkland Rural Enterprises Ltd (a small farm/forestry business) to create a Centre for Stewardship.  Our shared and evolving purpose is to realise the potential of a place where land gives life to people and people give life to the land.

We are committed to the following values: thoughtfulness in our relationships; quality in our workmanship; and integrity in pursuit of our objectives.

Future plans include:

The transfer of ownership of some, if not all, property into a community-based charity that will underpin and oversee the responsible stewardship of the land; New business model(s) that values innovation, openness and relationships; Adding value to the local economy and regenerating the estate through processing, crafting and marketing of locally sourced food & wood products; Hosting inspiring events, summer schools, ceremonies and festivals; Increasing quality skills training, in partnership with others; Transforming underutilised sites on the estate into dynamic, purposeful hubs.

Job purpose

The post-holder will lead, and collaborate with others, on:

The management and development of the estate’s core business; Enabling and supporting the evolution of healthy new business ventures; Monitoring & guiding businesses on the estate in relation to the estate’s ethos.

You are likely to be: passionate about rural regeneration; committed to collaborative working; and skilled in managing business in a relevant field.

Key tasks will include:

  • Developing sound business plans and processes for adding value;
  • Project managing strategic development projects;
  • Cultivating a systemic approach to the development of enterprise across estate entities and partners;
  • Overseeing health and safety, and risk management on behalf of the estate.

Reporting arrangements and Organisational culture

You will report to the Executive Chair and the Board of Falkland Estate Trust.

You will join an enthusiastic, professional and dedicated team supported by voluntary board members. We are committed to an approach including: clear leadership; high levels of delegated responsibilities; and self-management in service of purpose.

Person Specification

Since the main focus is business development, the following skills are needed –

  • Business planning, budgeting and monitoring
  • Developing markets for products and services
  • Interpersonal, leadership and team work skills
  • Project management
  • Ability to manage risk (inc. understanding of health and safety in the work place)
  • Management and supervision of staff

Areas of relevant experience

The post will operate in a fast changing rural environment and you are likely to have experience in some (unlikely to be all) of the following areas:

  • Social enterprise and/or cooperatives;
  • Creative industries;
  • Farming, horticulture, food-processing, forestry or timber-processing;
  • Rural diversification and/or regeneration of places;
  • Hospitality, rural tourism or outdoor pursuits;
  • Retail and marketing of produce, products and/or services;
  • Skills training and/or product development;
  • Project management of capital projects;
  • Sustainable land use/management;

A key skill will be drawing on additional support (internal or external) where needed.

It is envisaged that about 40% of your time will involve in managing, supporting and evaluating current business operations and the remaining 60% will involve initiating or attracting appropriate new business ventures to the estate.

This work will involve close collaboration with public, private and third sectors. So we are looking for someone with an understanding and experience of working across sectors – as well as an ability to deal with complexity in a rapidly changing world.

You are also likely to have:

  • A relevant professional or academic qualification;
  • Experience of managing business development at a senior level;
  • Track record of successful innovation and transformative practice.

Provisional date of interviews will be either 25th January or 4th February

HOW TO APPLY: via S1 jobs only – do not send an email/cv directly.