Fife’s Zero Waste Volunteer and Community Advocate Programme
We are delighted to be part of the Zero Waste Scotland funded programme for 2015 to 2017.
What we aim to do during this programme:
- Help Fife communities to increase recycling.
- Provide tips, ideas and activities to help prevent household food waste
- Increase the life of products through re-use, repair and sharing.
The communities we are specifically looking to work with are:
- Tanshall and Macedonia (Glenrothes)
- Templehall (Kirkcaldy)
- Communities in the Benarty area
- Communities in the Levenmouth area
- St Andrews and in particular the student population.
How we are going to achieve this;
- Running themed workshops on Zero Waste (eg cooking demonstrations, recycling workshops)
- Helping our partners in the communities to deliver a range of events and activities
- Making presentations and organising discussions on Zero Waste messages
- Leaflet drops
- Litter picks
- Aligning with national campaigns
- Helping community events with their recycling
- Attending events and organising displays in community spaces
As ever we are looking to recruit volunteers to the programme. If you are interested in helping with the programme then please let us know! There are many ways that you can help – here are just some:
- Helping at events passing on Zero Waste messages
- Helping in the office, updating the website and social media
- Carrying out research
- Taking part in events such as litter picks
- Helping to recruit others to the project
Or perhaps you have another skill that you wish to share eg would you like to run a workshop showing people how to repair bikes or find fresh uses for tired clothing? If any of this interests you – or you have an idea of your own! – please get in touch. We have some great images of some of our work from last year on our flickr account and you can find us on Facebook!
The Zero Waste Team:
Wendy Gudmundsson is the Team Leader and Project Officer for Tanshall & Macedonia and Templehall.
Charlotte Mackinnon is Project Officer for the Benarty area.
Jackie Arreaza is Project Officer for the Levenmouth area.
We are also working in partnership with Transition University of St Andrews.
Please email any of the Project Officers if you have a query, or call 01337 858838. We all work part-time but if you call, someone will get back to you.
Working together, we can build a stronger and greener Fife.
These websites offer lots of help and advice on Zero Waste:
Your Food Waste Assistant
Saving your food, saving you money!
To support the delivery of food waste prevention solutions, Love Food Hate Waste have created an online tool called ‘Your Food Waste Assistant’ designed to identify waste behaviours and offers solutions based on user selected outputs.
‘Your Food Waste Assistant’ asks you about the last food you wasted, why and offers simple ideas to help you do something differently next time around so try it out!