Simple Shelters...that enable people to build healthy and purposeful lives.
Falkland Stewardship Trust in collaboration with Reforesting Scotland’s Thousand Huts Campaign and other project and academic partners (listed below) have secured funding to pilot a year of hut building and use on Falkland Estate. Our aim is to test out a concept and model that can be replicated and scaled-up on a national basis in coming years.
Our big idea is to involve a range of participants in the building and use of huts and other simple structures in outdoor environments as a means of:
- Providing quality skills training to enable people to gain competencies and move along the employment pathway e.g. to volunteering, training or work.
- Increasing confidence and self-efficacy as people realise their potential.
- Enhancing people’s wellbeing and sense of connection to the natural world.
- Experimenting together with ways of building great huts and teams.
- Creating a sustainable model of training in building and/or use of huts in the countryside as a social enterprise.
The majority of project participants will be drawn from a range of groups across Fife and further afield that engage people who are disadvantaged such as: lack of access to employment; financial poverty; social, economic or health factors; substance misuse; mental health issues; homelessness; low confidence or self esteem.
Want to get involved?
We are on the lookout for groups and individual volunteers and participants who might be interested in being part of this exciting initiative. In addition we will also be offering a range of public training opportunities over the year which you can see in the ‘What’s on?’ section of this website. If you want to know more then please get in touch by email or phone (01337 858838). You can also like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/simpleshelters/
Project Coordinator: Tara O’Leary
Hut Building Assistant: Laura Jaap
- Falkland Stewardship Trust (lead)
- Heriot Watt University (academic lead)
- University of Dundee
- Reforesting Scotland
- Falkland Estate Trust
- Fife Rural Skills Partnership
- NHS Fife – Centre for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
- Youth 1st – Fife
Enjoy images of previous hut building courses and construction on Falkland Estate.
And here’s link to a video from a small course run in 2011
This project is funded through the European Structural Funds’ Social Innovation Fund.