Our Bright Future: the next generation of Fife’s environmental champions and workforce.
Our Bright Future is a five year programme (2016-2021) that will:
- enable young people in Fife to gain new skills relevant to finding jobs, training, volunteer opportunities or starting entrepreneurial projects that contribute to the green economy and,
- achieve a net gain in the built and natural environment across the rural and urban settings of Fife.
Working with our partners in the Fife Rural Skills Partnership we want to help young people (15-24) across Fife into sustainable jobs, businesses and other positive destinations.
FRSP was formed in 2013 by third sector organisations supported by public sector agencies, driven by a collective concern to promote and support the development of a skills workforce to care, manage and make sustainable use of Fife’s woodland, farmland and rural landscape.
This programme will offer young people a variety of pathways to prepare for the working world and practical support to begin their careers in a sector where there is an identified generational gap.
The programmes will be tailored and flexible enough to work with those with long-term mental health issues, community payback and other excluded or disadvantaged groups.
A three stage approach
The FRSP aims to create a clear pathway into practical environmental management work for young people, through a three-staged approach:
- Level 1 – Beginner level: work experience, academies, voluntary placements.
- Level 2 – Apprenticeship level: from 6 months to 1 year including the Estate Management SVQ 2, Trees and Timber at Level 2 and other qualifications that might suit participants.
- Level 3 – Social enterprise level: provision of ‘incubator hubs’ with both expert and peer-to-peer mentoring and practical support to create sustainable businesses managing the environment and natural resources.
Young people can enter at any level according to previous experience; the aim will be to support progression into environmental jobs and to inspire and prepare the next generation to take up the challenge of improving Fife’s rural and urban environment.
How to take part or register your interest
If you are interested in being part of this programme then get in touch with the Programme Coordinator, Sarah MacDonald by email or phone 01337 858838.